Sunday, August 03, 2008

Reflections on Motherhood


My whole life, I have always dreamed of being a mother. In my dreams, I would gather my children around me and teach them the gospel, the spirit would always be in our home, other children would congregate to our house, and I would never, not even once, raise my voice. I would be a Marjorie Hinckley-Mary Poppins hybrid. Now that I have a little more experience and a few mistakes under my belt, I confess that motherhood is less glamorous and a lot harder than I ever imagined. But it is so much more rewarding than I imagined as well. Here are some examples of the bad and good I have faced:

The BAD:
  • Cleaning up bodily waste, either from a diaper, clothing, a poop-smeared toilet or in the grass at the park!
  • Getting head-butted from my helmet-wearing infant.
  • Sweeping the floor twenty million times a day.
  • Screaming, inconsolable children at church.
  • Not being able to sit and eat quietly during meal times.
  • Children not going to bed when I want them to.
  • Sleep-deprivation from waking children through the night.
The GOOD:
  • Newborn babies.
  • My children's unconditional love.
  • Children's smiles and laughter in our home.
  • A child's first's (laughs, smiles, words, walking, etc.)
  • Watching my children's faces light up when they accomplish something.
  • Someone who wants to be around me all day long.
  • Someone who depends on me for their happiness.
  • Someone who thinks I am the greatest thing in the world.
  • Compliments and thank you's from my children.
  • The funny things they say or do that no matter what, always brings a smile to my face.
  • The deep love I feel for each one of my children.
I believe it is good to reflect on these types of things so that when we do have to deal with the less glamorous aspects of our lives, we remember the good and essentially "count our blessings". I know by doing so, I certainly have a better perspective of things. Perhaps I can be Marjorie Poppins after all.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

What a beautiful post! I couldn't have said it better. Although, I have to wonder if you ever yell at your kids.

The Coombs' said...

AMEN!! I am way less patient than I thought I would be as a mother, but it sure is worth it!