Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hmmph.

I've just made it through five days without a husband and about a week without any grocery shopping. Today was the day to go to the grocery store and not just any store, but Wally World...with all three kids. This is typically a situation I try to avoid but unfortunately it had to be done and a one-stop shopping trip is too tempting to pass up. So when I arrived at the store I was all business. I made a beeline for the produce section. Haydn was hanging out in the sling, Dallin in the grocery cart and Jaren walking beside me. Everything was going great. Then I turned around. A woman was right behind me. She smiled at Haydn and I. I thought she was going to say something like "Oh, he's as a cute as a button." We get that a lot, but then usually it is just the two of us while George watches the other two. Instead she said, "I bet he's in that sling to remind you not to have another one right?" Caught off-guard, I asked her very eloquently "What?". She repeated and when it was confirmed that she said what I thought she said, she continued, "Three's enough right?" I really didn't know what to say, so I answered her honestly, "Nope, I'm having at least one more." She laughed and wished me luck with that.

Okay, so what gives people the right to say things like this to strangers?! I'm okay with the occasional, "Oh, you've got your hands full!" I can agree to that. Some people tell me stories about raising their children, some tell me to enjoy it while I can, and then some people are downright rude! To be honest, this is a first for me. I haven't had it nearly as bad as some. Nobody has told me to try birth control or attempted to educate me about where kids come from. But, I do wish I could say things like this when people have overstepped their bounds. I know no one can influence the way I feel, but I find it difficult not to let things like this get to me. The good thing to do is forgive and forget. So that's what I'll do- right after I finish writing this post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've got a million stories just like that one! We got a lot of comments in Wyoming for some reason. I think they just aren't as used to big families there. I had one lady tell me that since I obviously couldn't take care of my kids that I should send them to their grandma. Rude huh? People can be so mean sometimes. Heaven forbid we try to populate the world and raise the rising generation to keep the species alive.