Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our Kids are Growing Up

A few notable things occurred this last week. Dallin had his 9-month birthday (one of these days, I will stop counting his birthday in months) and Jaren had his first full week of successful potty training. Most of this occurred while George was two hours away on a 96-hour alert, so I am quite proud of myself that I was able to potty train Jaren while George was gone for five days.

I am so happy that our kids are growing up and becoming more independent. I love the immobile baby stage (less kids to chase), but I am thrilled to see Dallin moving around more and wanting to be active. Thus far, he has shown little interest outside his little circle around him on the floor. I believe it was Karl G. Maeser who said,"Stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of that circle? No. Never! I'd die first." Maybe Jaren tricked Dallin into giving his word to never cross an invisible circle, who knows? Maybe it's a sign of his future integrity? Or maybe (most likely) he just has no desire for crawling or rolling across the floor? Well, that's beside the point. What I'm really trying to say is that although he is still not crawling yet, he has become fascinated with standing and jumping. He spends most of his day now in the Johnny Jump Up or on my lap standing and pulling/eating my hair. Jaren was never a big fan of the Johnny Jump Up, so to see Dallin having so much fun in it is really fun to watch. He learned pretty quickly to turn himself around in a circle and then to lift up his legs and let go. It's hilarious to watch.

So, even though these events are small milestones, they are big steps for us! Hoorah for us! Here's a video of Dallin in his new favorite toy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha!! that is way too cute!