Monday, June 09, 2008

Half-Marathon




Well, we did it! George and I ran a half-marathon together, and despite a few injuries or nagging pains, we finished our half-marathon in an unofficial time of 1:49. Our official time is about a minute slower because we went through the wrong finish chute and the timing chip accepted the latter finish time [insert "sigh" here]. The scenery was beautiful, the weather warm and sunny in the right spots, and until mile 10, we were running two minutes faster than my goal time. George ran along beside me for support. The last 1.5 to 2 miles were difficult for me and we ended up slowing down and finished four minutes slower than my goal time. Oh well, maybe next time. All in all, I am proud of myself and proud of George for sticking by my side and encouraging me to catch the "teeny boppers" who eluded me to the very end.

At the end of the race, we were interviewed by a Helena newspaper. You can check out our interview here. It's kind of cool to be quoted, if even for a sentence or two.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I left a comment on your last blog yesterday and it's not there today! How weird? Anyway, I was just asking how the race went, so you must have read my mind by posting this... ;). Congrats! An 8 1/2 minute mile average is pretty awesome! Most women our age can't even run a mile, let alone 13! You should be proud of your yourself. And you look great too! I've been dealing with runner's knee myself, so the cross-training for my triathlons have been perfect for me.

Shawn & Lauren said...

Cogratulations and job well done! I admire your dedication, and I think it's cool that you and George were able to do it together. Too bad about the wrong finish line though, but at least you were quoted in the newspaper!

The Coombs' said...

Sweet! I'm proud of you guys! I haven't been on your site for a while, I love the new format! SO CUTE! So, congrats to George, Dave, and Dallin for getting his awesome helmet! We miss you guys, come to Utah soon.

Nikki said...

WOW! I aspire to such greatness. I am far, FAR away from being fit enough for even a couple miles.