Months like February are expected to go by fast. But months with 31 days in it should go by slow, right? For us, we could barely keep up with how fast the days were flying by. So, now that I have a moment, I just wanted to highlight a few of the things we've been up to recently. You can view our photos in the slide show or this web album (because there are a lot) and read on for more detail.
So, let's start with the beginning. On May 2, we received Dallin's helmet that he'll be wearing for the next 4-6 months 23 hours a day or until the doctor says his treatment is done. The helmet is to correct a condition called plagiocephaly, which essentially means flat head. It was a very frustrating process through Tricare (military insurance) to get the helmet; in fact, Tricare does not cover it, even after hundreds of appeals from concerned and worried parents. By some miracle and many hours of searching the internet, I found out that the Air Force Aid Society would help cover the cost of the helmet, which is $1500. We owe them a very big thanks! Dallin has been wearing it for just over a month and yesterday, we saw the plastic surgeon treating him and he says Dallin's head is looking great and has grown 1.3 cm since he was last measured. That is very good!
The weekend of May 10, we drove to Spokane so that George could "walk" to receive his master's degree. He actually finished all of his classes last summer but Gonzaga only does one graduation ceremony a year and he missed it the previous May. So, we made the trip, spent some time with my parents in Spokane and drove home on Mother's day. The whole weekend was fun except for the six hours in the car on Mother's day.
We had about a two week break from traveling before we were off on a plane to Ohio to see George's younger brother Dave be married to his cute wife Lasah. It was a lot of fun to see the Chapman side of the family. We do not get to see them as often as my side of the family. We can see all of my family within a 10-hour drive. In order to see anyone in George's family, we either need to buy plane tickets for three of us (very costly) or travel for 12-14 hours 2-3 days straight. Either way is expensive, especially with gas prices so high, so we don't get around to seeing them except for important life events. Though we only had 2 1/2 days to spend with them, we had a blast. Jaren really loved playing with his cousins Kylee, Brinlee and Haylee. They are the cutest little girls! We were all so sad to leave.
While we were in Ohio, we celebrated George's 30th birthday even though his birthday wasn't for another five days. I owe a big thanks to everyone in the Chapman family! They all helped me surprise George, which if you know George well, does not happen very often. He had no clue what I had been up to even after seeing me come home with a balloon for Jaren from the Party America store. I thought for sure I had blown my cover.
I'm glad we celebrated his birthday with family. About 12 hours after we got back from Ohio, he was off for 11 days in Cheyenne, Wyoming for some training. He comes home tomorrow. And unfortunately, I wasn't able to be with him for the big 3-0 on May 30! So, if you're reading this, wish the Old Man a happy birthday. It's not too late.
Okay, hang in there, I'm almost done. So, because we were coming back from a whirlwind trip and busy month, I called my sister in Utah to see if she would come up and visit me. Surprisingly she came and I'm so glad she did. It made the time pass by quicker and we had a lot of fun. The kids really enjoyed playing with each other too. Jaren and Ellie were inseparable. I wish we didn't live so far from all of our family. I really enjoy watching Jaren interact with his cousins.
And lastly, George comes home tomorrow, my sister Caitlyn comes to visit tomorrow and George and I will compete in a half-marathon on Saturday (two days away!). Wish us luck! This will be my first race since 2000 and my first half-marathon. YIKES! We'll be sure to post some photos after the race.
No comments:
Post a Comment