Confession time. I have been dreading the new year for about 3 months now. Why would I dread a single day marked by celebrations, resolutions and new starts? January 1st, 2011, New Year's day, is the day that I would say goodbye to my husband and become a single parent for 5 1/2 months. I know, I know. A lot of people have had their husbands deployed for a year in the sandbox and my husband is in Las Vegas for less than half a year. No big deal, right? I'm a military wife. Military wives know and expect that at some point they will be alone raising their family. Still, separation is hard and being the lone parent to handle, deflect and absorb the craziness of raising three young children is even harder.
I've had to be a single mom for much of the last 20 months. Those 20 months were some of the hardest of my life. I'm a stronger person for it and most likely it prepared me for this duration of separation, but a little break before starting a single-parenting marathon would have been nice. Something like a year long break where we could have had a normal life with two parents in the home, 8-hr workdays five days a week, soccer games, family vacations, splitting up of household chores and parenting duties. Ahhhh...to dream. And it was such a beautiful dream. But those are not the cards I was dealt.
Perhaps it was better this way, to piggyback one trial on top of the other. Yes, I am convinced that it is better this way. Though, if I had my way, I wouldn't have to be so strong all the time and have to endure so much. But it is what it is. I can't change anything except my perspective. Pardon the source of this quote, but I just love what Christopher Robin tells Winnie the Pooh when he goes off to school. Hmm, my hubby is off at school too!
"If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
I just have to keep telling myself that and pray 20 times a day and I might just survive the year! Here's to 2011 being a good year despite the circumstances.

5 comments:
Erin - I admire you more than I can say. I have an 8 hour working husband and I complain all the time about how hard it is to be with the kids day in and day out. I just can't imagine how difficult it would be to manage everything without your hubby coming home each day to provide some relief. You inspire me. I'll try to complain less this year because of your example...although I am not likely to succeed at this. But I'll make an honest effort of it :)
George is one lucky man to have someone like you. ((George don't you forget it!!))
love that quote! you are all of those things! if you need anything let me know!
Hugs Erin! Mine is going to be gone off and on for 6 months this year, but I only have one kid. I'm HOPING he'll make it back for the next one to arrive in June, but if not, us military wives just deal! It sucks, but we deal and are better for it!
Good luck this year! You can do it!
I like that quote! Well, hang in there sis, because if anyone can do it you can. I pray that the time will fly by for you and this turns out to be one of the best years for you yet! xoxoxo
Thank you everyone. I feel that I will be able to handle the next little bit because I have a lot of support coming from family and friends. It means the world to me!
Post a Comment